Sunday 7 July 2013

Random Act of Kindness - Knitting Hats for the Homeless

I'm not a very creative person.  I'm useless at anything arty or crafty, my fingers turn into thumbs when I try.  I can't draw, I can't crochet, I can't sew - poor hubby had the task of hand sewing all the Brownie badges on little Miss's sash - I'm forgiven because he loves my cooking.  So it's surprising that I am quite an able knitter.  I wouldn't tackle anything large, because I tend to lose interest if I can't see progress made relatively quickly, so I tend to concentrate on smaller things, like babies knitwear.

Because I am searching for practical ways to help charities, fresh from my Women's Aid success, I was excited to see this appeal for knitted hats on the Woman's Weekly website.

They have teamed up with Barnabus which is a Christian charity that helps the homeless on the streets of Manchester.  

Barnabus accept practical donations as well as money; new boxer shorts and new socks, sleeping bags, Men's jeans, jackets, trainers, boots, and also items to sell in their charity shop to raise funds. In addition they always appreciate donations of biscuits, cakes, chocolate, tea, sugar, long life milk and coffee.

Because I'm too far away from the city to help the charity in that way, I thought this would be a great way to do my bit.  Hats are so easy and quick to knock up that I'm sure I can have a fair few done by the closing date.  Might even be able to rope in knitting family and friends to help me out.

If you're interested in doing this, the details are all on the Woman's Weekly link above (page opens in new window) and the closing date for receipt of submissions is the 6th of September 2013.